Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Life goes on...

Yesterday I had an appointment with my orthopedic doctor. We're 10 weeks in from accident when I SERIOUSLY crunched my knee!
It was scary and the doctor said yesterday that it could've been a life altering injury. I figured it was time to spill the whole truth to my husband. I never told anyone, but one of the first conversations I had with my Geisinger doctors was about the blood flow in my injured leg. Apparantly it is quite common with my type of complex injury to compromise the blood flow to the leg. If that happens, they need to do vascular surgery or you risk losing your leg. 😳 I was EXTREMELY fortunate that in those crucial hours following my accident I continued to have a strong pulse and blood flow in my leg or this could've been a WHOLE other story. 
The good news is they did fix the leg. 
Granted I'm now the proud owner of a hardware store in my leg but at least I have a leg. 
I have a new best friend to help me on my path to recovery, my CPM Machine. 
It basically bends my leg for me stretching and flexing my joint and ligaments for at least 3 hours at a time. Now that I've achieved 70 degree bend we have a love hate relationship. I love the strength and flexibility I'm regaining but I hate how my knee aches after. Particularly the ligaments at the back of my knee. 
The super good news is that the doctor completely freed the flexibility on my brace so I'm no longer restricted to 50 degrees. One step closer to flexibility and mobility!
Bad news is I'm still dealing with an infection in my top pin site. I've basically been struggling with this infection since a few weeks after the second surgery. At least it isn't major and something we need to stress about. Just take antibiotics and soak it twice a day to draw the infection out. I take this as an opportunity to get in the tub. This makes me excited and nervous at the same time. We'll see how it goes.

1 comment: